Hi, we’re Albert Heijn, food retail reinventors. Perhaps you’ve already heard of us – we’ve been around for a while. For 135 years we’ve been a trusted and inspiring partner for our customers, with over 1.100 stores in the Netherlands and Flanders. We fill 6 million plates per day, have 3.4 million active users of our app per month and have been valued as the most sustainable supermarket chain for the 6th time in a row by our customers. So for millions of people, food shopping is synonymous with the Albert Heijn brand.
We didn’t achieve this with a complacent, ‘hey, if it works today, it’ll work tomorrow’ approach, but by continually rethinking our propositions and staying plugged in to customer demands.
So what’s next? Accelerating our transition into a hybrid Food & Tech company is. We want to leverage data and technology to future-proof food shopping and make eating better the easy choice for everyone. In our newly launched Tech Talent Track you will team up with inspiring peers in our tech domains. A community of diverse individuals who share a common goal; to create digital solutions that make (online) shopping simpler and more inspiring. Are you ready to reinvent the way millions of people buy and enjoy their food? We invest heavily in data, digital and tech. And that includes investing in your career!
Tech Talent Track
Albert Heijn’s Tech Talent Track is an 18-month learning journey, in which we help you to become the best in your expertise. By combining training and development courses while hitting the ground running in 3 different Tech Assignments of each 6 months, we give you the best basis for a kickstart of your career
We offer this track for:
- Software Engineers (Frontend, Backend or Mobile)
- Data Engineers
Why the Tech Talent Track?
Let us give you a couple of reasons:
- We have modern technology in place. Backend and frontend software engineers work with, amongst others:
- CDN asset management
- Elastic Search
- At Mobile we work with iOS, Android and Flutter apps, so you’ll be using Swift, Kotlin and Dart
- For Data Engingeers some of our favorite tools/techniques are:
- Microsoft Azure (ADF, DWH, Synapse, Functions)
- Our apps and websites are used daily by millions of customers – you’ll be surely making impact ánd we build everything in house.
- You’ll hit the ground running by being a full-fledged member of our Tech community from day one and having 3 different tech assignments of each 6 months, during which you’ll be a valued team member with your own responsibilities and job to do.
- You’ll go on a personal and professional development journey, in which you’ll be coached by peers, mentors and managers.
- We actively promote autonomy and experimenting. Misadventures are part of your journey. Your team, Head of Tech and your mentor will help you get up and go at it again.
- Our head office is in Zaandam, NL. However, we are not bound to these walls. Hybrid working is a part of our culture, and we usually work 2 days per week at head office.
- We offer the best of both worlds: the development opportunities of a global corporate combined with the mentality and drive to go where no one has gone before that typifies scaleups
- A flexible starting date! The Tech Talent Track will take off on the 1st of February 2023. However, you can decide if you wish to start sooner. We’ll make sure there’ll be an assignment for you. Want to go on a long vacation before you start? No problem, we’ll see you on February 1st.
What will you do?
Albert Heijn’s Tech Talent Track is an 18-month learning journey, in which we help you to become the best in your expertise. By combining training and development courses while hitting the ground running in 3 different Tech Assignments of each 6 months, we give you the best basis for a kickstart of your career within Albert Heijn. You will work in three different assignments, which allows you to see and experience a diversity of what our Tech company has to offer. These assignments can be with Albert Heijn, but also with Etos or Gall&Gall.
Tech Assignment 1
Your first six months in the Tech Talent Track will be focused on getting to know Albert Heijn, our customer, your team and our Tech stack. From day one, you will be given autonomy, responsibility and you will work with diverse professionals in your specific area. Together you will be challenged to work on and innovate on our newest tech solutions with Albert Heijn. You will be challenged daily to be critical, and we will give you and your fellow trainees trainings on soft skills like Personal Leadership, and hard skills that are specific for your assignment, powered by our AH Tech Academy.
Tech Assignment 2
During your second assignment you will get to expand your knowledge and skills in a new assignment of six months at a different department or platform You will learn new skills, think about a course on efficient time management or a new coding language.
Tech Assignment 3
You have now successfully finished two tech assignments, and the final six months of your Tech Talent Track will be all about expanding your skills and expertise and developing some soft skills such as stakeholder management and storytelling. During this final assignment we will challenge you to find your next career step with us at Albert Heijn. Will you be our next Data Engineer Customer Data or our next DevOps Engineer?
Who are you?
Are you nearly finished with your HBO (higher vocational education) or WO (academic education) in the area of IT, Data or Tech and eligible to work in the Netherlands? Do you have a maximum of 2 years fulltime working experience? Are you ready to embark on this development journey with us as a Software Developer Frontend, Backend or Mobile or as a Data Engineer? And are you enthusiastic, independent, innovative, opinionated, hungry for a development journey and ready to make some impact?
What do we offer?
- A salary of around €3.300,- per month ánd a fixed contract
- Everything you need to shape your home office (desk, chair, desktop, etc.) – so you can work from home or from the office when you wish (we usually see each other at the office once or twice a week)
- If you wish you can become member of Young Ahold Delhaize, which organizes fun events, borrels, masterclasses, trips (amongst others our yearly ski-trip) and more.
- A minimal distribution of profits of 45%, and max 130% – as you’re helping the business grow, you of course get a slice of that pie!
- 45 – yes, indeed, 45 – days to relax (25.5 vacation days and 19.5 ADV days)
- A good retirement plan
- Of course a powerful laptop and phone
- Discount on groceries at Albert Heijn
- You will help to provide our customers with a healthier, tastier and more sustainable lifestyle
- Thé kick-start to your career
Applying for Albert Heijn’s Tech Talent Track will be possible from October 3rd 2022 until December 18th 2022. The starting date of your career will be on February 1st 2023 at the latest. If you wish to start sooner than that, we’ll be happy to have you.
Stories from our Tech Employees.
Do you want to know more about Tech at Albert Heijn? Here you can read some stories of our Tech employees.
Thanks to Business Analyst Charlotte, our shops keep running.
Shop sensors measuring consumer behaviour, a busy webshop with thousands of products and countless innovations in front of and behind the scenes: before Charlotte Alejo applied at Etos, she had no idea how much IT a drugstore needs. Never thought about it. In February 2022, she joined us as a Business Analyst. What appeals to her most? 'I see quick results from my work and have opportunities for growth. That suits me.'
Read more about Charlotte Alejo
Front-end developer Alexander and his team bring Albert Heijn to life.
A blue bus stops in front of your house, the door bell rings and a few moments later your fridge is full again: many people have long since stopped leaving their house for their daily groceries from Albert Heijn. Why should you, when you can order everything at the push of a button. But nowadays we often want more: to look around, try out new products and score special offers - just like in the physical shop. The good news: you can do that too with the Albert Heijn App. Alexander and his team make shopping via the app an experience in itself.
Read more about Alexander Altena