Wij bieden jou
Your new job and office
About the job
For our mobile iOS team we are looking for enthusiastic, independent, opinionated developers, who understand the potential impact they have on our active user base that is currently hovering around 3,3 million. This means 50 thousand people using the Albert Heijn app actively at any moment during the day, and that makes it a really fun project to work on!
Our team is large and very diverse, in regard to both culture and skills. Some of us are internal employees and others come from agencies or are freelancers, but all are fully integrated members of the team and are equally contributing to the app and its evolution.
What we stand for as a mobile team:
- We care deeply about consistent, malleable, well documented and tested code.
- We always keep in mind that code is more often read than written.
- We make sure our solutions respect the acceptance criteria because we test them thoroughly, picking the right type of test depending on what we’re building.
- Doing things right, is more important than closing the ticket a day too early.
- We are firm believers that “QA should find nothing” and use our strict PR review process to learn from each other and have fun doing it.
- We work for our Users, not our managers.
- We know the price of sloppy programming because we’ve paid it (and are still paying), so refactoring messy parts of the codebase is a normal part of our day (Boy Scout rule ftw!).
Why joining the mobile iOS team at AH Technology? Let us give you a few reasons:
- We have nice technology in place: the app is fully written in Swift and we’re working on moving to clean architecture.
- You're building an app that is used by millions of customers in their daily shopping activities
- Albert Heijn is moving to a (Food) Tech Company; lots of our products that you see as a customer – like our app – are built by ourselves, inhouse.
- All you do in the app has a big impact
- You join a mobile community of 50+ engineers, who think alike, or different, but all love working on new initiatives, high performance and high quality, unit testing etc..
Curious about our mobile tech stack? We listed them on Stackshare (https://stackshare.io/albert-heijn/albert-heijn-ios).
A sneak peak: 100% swift, moving to clean architecture (from VIP). Big projects: no storyboards or nibs, 8K+ unit tests, 1K+ Snapshot tests, Github Actions, Fastlane.
This vacancy is a 100% swift role. A small part of our app is built using Flutter, if you are interested in the combination Flutter and iOS, we also have a (separate) vacancy for this role. You can contact Irene (recruiter) for more information about the role. For contact details, see below.
What do we offer?
The right ingredients for an impactful job
- An annual salary between 50-85K, depending on your level of seniority and experience, based on a full-time workweek (40 hours);
- Possibility to work 32-40 hours a week
- An additional yearly bonus (up to 10K)
- An attractive pension plan of which we pay out over 4x times the amount you contribute to the fund. So you’ll continue to enjoy a comfortable income even after retiring 🙂
- A minimum of 20 days paid vacation, optionally 12.5 days extra. Do you want to take that extra time off, or would you rather convert the extra days into discounts or sell them for cash? It’s up to you!
- Travel expenses, a laptop and smartphone.
- 10% staff discount on groceries in all Albert Heijn stores, up to €300 discount a year.
- Follow training and courses via our AH Tech Academy.
What do you bring
- At AH Technology you'll be working for one of the biggest food retailers in the Netherlands. To become successful as our new mobile developer you bring:
- A Technology/IT Engineering Bachelor certificate or Master degree, or equivalent work experience;
- Relevant experience as developer of mobile apps in iOS.
- Know your way around with CI/CD, using Fastlane and Github Actions;
- Knowledge and experience on SOLID principles, clean architecture and testing;
- Outstanding communication in English (Dutch is not mandatory, but already living in the Netherlands is);
- A highly communicative personality.
- A valid working permit to work in the Netherlands (we can offer extension of your sponsorship, but currently don’t offer relocation).
We are looking for both experienced and less experienced mobile developers. Depending on the level of experience you bring, you support product or platform architects when needed, and guide and coach other developers. If you don't check all the boxes, don't worry, we probably don't do either ;-). Feel free to apply and let us have a look at your resume.
Your new office
Curious about your colleagues? At AH Technology you work with the best experts in the field. In an open environment, where expertise is valued, where we learn from each other and have the freedom to innovate. Our mobile development community counts more than fifty Mobile Developers, mostly experts in iOS, Android and Flutter development. We work in a hybrid way, where we meet (on average) 2 days at the office in Zaandam (close to the train station, 8 min from Amsterdam).
Irene van Rosmalen (Talent Acquisition Partner Technology) and hiring manager Dennis Eijkelenkamp (Head of Tech) will be happy to help you via firstname.lastname@example.org or send a WhatsApp to Irene via 06-23 62 04 40.
Our interview Process
The first step is reviewing your resume and plan a (video) call with our tech recruiter Irene van Rosmalen, in which the Tech lead mobile for iOS will join the last 15 minutes too, so you can ask more in-depth technical questions. The next step is a technical assignment to tackle at home, which we use to understand if your programming style matches what we look for in a team mate. If it does, we follow up with a relaxed 1-hour chat, where we talk about the assessment, your experiences, and some day-to-day technical stuff you don’t really need any preparation for. At last there’s a 30-min chat with the Head of Tech and a PO or Agile coach to get to know each other and tell you more about the direction and ambitions of the team.
And here's a little bit more about us:
You probably already know who we are. Albert Heijn goes way back. More than 130 years, to be exact. So for millions of people, food shopping is synonymous with the Albert Heijn brand. We didn’t achieve this with a complacent, ‘hey, if it works today, it’ll work tomorrow’ approach, but by continually rethinking our propositions and staying plugged in to customer demands. Over 1,000 stores? Check. The leading online food retail platform? Check, we build, run and love it. 😉
So what’s next? Accelerating our transition into a hybrid Food & Tech company is. We want to leverage data and technology to future-proof food shopping and make better food more easily accessible to everyone. At AH Technology, you team up with inspiring peers in the data, digital and tech domains. A community of diverse individuals who share a common goal; to create digital solutions that make (online) shopping simpler and more inspiring. Are you ready to reinvent the way millions of people buy and enjoy their food? We invest heavily in data, digital and tech. And that includes investing in your career!