Wij bieden jou
Your new job and office
For our mobile Android team we are looking for an enthusiastic, independent, opinionated developer, who understands the potential impact they have on our active user base that is currently hovering around 4 million. This means 60 thousand people using the Albert Heijn app actively at any moment during the day, and that makes it amazing project to work on!
Albert Heijn goes way back. More than 130 years, to be exact. So for millions of people, food shopping is synonymous with the Albert Heijn brand. We didn’t achieve this with a complacent, ‘hey, if it works today, it’ll work tomorrow’ approach, but by continually rethinking our propositions and staying plugged in to customer demands. Over 1,000 stores? Check. The leading online food retail platform? Check, we build, run and love it. 😉 So what’s next? Accelerating our transition into a hybrid Food & Tech company is. We want to leverage data and technology to future-proof food shopping and make better food more easily accessible to everyone. At AH Technology, you team up with inspiring peers in the data, digital and tech domains. A community of diverse individuals who share a common goal; to create digital solutions that make (online) shopping simpler and more inspiring. Are you ready to reinvent the way millions of people buy and enjoy their food? We invest heavily in data, digital and tech. And that includes investing in your career!
About the job
We are looking for medior/senior Android developer to join our Loyalty & Savings Team. Our team is large and very diverse, regarding both culture and skills. Together with two other Android developers you will be responsible for building, updating and improving our Loyalty & Savings feature. Our team is located in the Netherlands and some of us are internal employees and others come from agencies or are freelancers. But we are all are fully integrated members of the team and are equally contributing to the app and its evolution.
Depending on the level of experience you bring, you participate in standups and refinements, write code, enforce code quality, develop best practices, write tests and manage releases. You support product or platform architects when needed, and guide and coach other (junior) developers.
What we stand for as a mobile team:
• We care deeply about consistent, malleable, well documented, and tested code;
• We always keep in mind that code is more often read than written;
• We make sure our solutions respect the acceptance criteria because we test them thoroughly, picking the right type of test depending on what we’re building;
• Doing things right, is more important than closing the ticket a day too early;
• We are firm believers that “QA should find nothing” and use our strict PR review process to learn from each other and have fun doing it;
• We work for our Users, not our managers;
• We know the price of sloppy programming because we’ve paid it (and are still paying), so refactoring messy parts of the codebase is a normal part of our day (Boy Scout rule ftw!).
Why join the mobile Android team at AH Technology? Let us give you a few reasons:
• We have modern technology in place: the app is 100% written in Kotlin and we’re working on moving to clean architecture;
• You're building an app that is used by millions of customers in their daily shopping activities;
• All you do in the app has a big impact;
• You join a mobile community of 50+ engineers, who think alike, or different, but all love working on new initiatives, high performance and high quality, unit testing etc.
• Grow your career and become part of the AH Tech Academy; our learning environment;
Our tech stack: 150+ modules, 100% kotlin, MVVM, some legacy MVP, 100% coroutines and flows, 0% Rx, messy in many parts, (pseudo). Clean in many others with refactoring plans in place, Dagger2 to Hilt migration almost done (97% there), 3k Unit, 1k Espresso tests, JUnit5, Mockito to Mockk migration complete, all new features written in Compose, GitHub, GitHub Actions.
What do we offer?
The right ingredients for an impactful job
- An annual salary between 50-85K, depending on your experience and based on a full-time workweek (40 hours);
- Possibility to work 32-40 hours a week
- An additional yearly bonus
- An attractive pension plan of which we pay out over 4,5 x times the amount you contribute to the fund. So you’ll continue to enjoy a comfortable income even after retiring 🙂
- A minimum of 20 plus 12.5 extra days paid vacation. Do you want to take that extra time off, or would you rather convert the extra days into discounts or sell them for cash? It’s up to you!
- Follow training and courses via our AH Tech Academy.
- Travel expenses, a laptop and smartphone.
- 10% staff discount on groceries in all Albert Heijn stores, up to €300 discount a year.
- The opportunity to provide everyone with a healthier, tastier, and more sustainable diet.
What do you bring
If you don't check all the boxes, don't worry, we probably don't do either ;-). Feel free to apply and let us have a look at your resume:
• A Technology/IT Engineering Bachelor certificate or Master degree, or equivalent work experience;
• Strong experience as a developer of mobile apps in Android is a must.
• Know your way around with CI/CD, Github Actions;
• Knowledge and experience of SOLID principles, clean architecture and testing;
• Outstanding communication in English (Dutch is not mandatory, but already living in the Netherlands is);
• A highly communicative personality and not afraid to express your opinion about quality software.
A valid working permit to work in the Netherlands is mandatory (we can offer extension of your sponsorship, but currently don’t offer relocation).
Your new office
Curious about your colleagues? At AH Technology you work with the best experts in the field. In an open environment, where expertise is valued, where we learn from each other and have the freedom to innovate. Our mobile development community counts more than 50 Mobile Developers, mostly experts in iOS, Android and Flutter development. We work in a hybrid way, where we meet (on average) 1-2 days at the office, and the other days we work from home.
Our interview Process
The first step is reviewing your resume and plan a (video) call with our tech recruiter Carly DeSantis, in which the Tech lead mobile for Android will join the last 15 minutes too, so you can ask more in-depth technical questions. The next step is a technical assignment to tackle at home, which we use to understand if your programming style matches what we look for in a colleague. If it does, we follow up with a relaxed 1-hour chat, where we talk about the assessment, your experiences, and some day-to-day technical stuff you don’t really need any preparation for. At last there’s a 30-min chat with the Head of Tech to get to know each other and tell you more about the direction and ambitions of the team.